Make Fabric Using Washi Tape


I feel like I am seeing washi tape everywhere, and to be honest if my darling friend Marisa from Omiyage hadn't introduced it to me a few years ago- I probably never would've given it a second thought. Washi tape is a high quality masking tape made of rice paper. But more than that, washi tape is a material which is beautiful yet useful at the same time. You can tear it, stick it, reposition it, write on it... The low tack adhesive makes it extremely easy to use (and reuse).


Last year at the Craftcation Conference the entire hotel was decorated with washi tape elements.  I've even seen it used as a sewing tool- but never sewn on. So while I was putting together my mixed media sewing journal class for BERNINA University I began tinkering. My hope was to introduce the amazingly talented quilters to a new mediums where they can apply the same vision and challenge them to create outside the box. Today I'm sharing with you a portion my class-



You'll need:
Washi Tape
Medium/Heavy Weight Interfacing
Thread
Mod Podge (optional)

1. Cut medium/heavy weight interfacing to size needed for your project. 

2. Next, cover the interfacing with washi tape in any pattern. (We even experimented making quilt blocks in class!)

3. No pins are needed to hold tape in place- so you can move onto sewing the raw edges down onto interfacing. (When sewing on washi tape I choose to use an old needle and remember to change it before your project.)

Tip: I taught this class on a Bernette Chicago 7 which boasts more than 200 decorative stitches! We had a lot of fun experimenting with designs and creating our own with mirroring and elongation options. You can also do free motion stitching, zig zag, or a combination of any or all of the above. 


4. Have fun with mixing patterns, creating layers, and even applique!



5. Use your finished fabric to sew up your favorite projects- make an iphone case, wallet, notebook cover, reusable snack bag, luggage tags, mug rugs and more. Waterproof your creations by adding a coat of Modpodge.

What will you make with washi tape fabric? Tell me in the comments below-


Comments

Popular Posts